Houses built using natural-looking grey stone appear historic and distinctive.... Read more →
News & Specials
September 12, 2016
We welcome Trevor Brainin to our sales and customer support team. Trevor has 22 years of experience in the building trades with the sales and specification of windows and doors. For the last two years he has been working at Home Depot and is familiar with the challenges faced by homeowners and the many ways to make homes more welcoming and increase their value.
Resident in Aurora, Trevor is married with an adult son.
If you need advice on garage doors, garage door openers, both residential and commercial, Trevor is happy to help.
If you are tired of repainting your garage door frames year after year, then Aurora Overhead Door has the solution for you. Capping is metal sheathing that weatherproofs the frames and makes them look sharp. The wood underneath is protected and will last a long time without maintenance. We have lots of colours to choose from. Contact us today for more details.
Here is an installation we just completed in Aurora, before and after. The wooden door frame is thirty years old, has been banged up and the paint is thick and peeling. The capping squares off the corners and makes it look like new!
Traditionally farmers and stable owners have used doors that slide sideways. These types of doors are strong, but they are heavy. They also do not seal closely to the ground and on winter snow has to be kept clear of the bottom track.
An alternative it to use a commercial grade overhead door. They are strong, they can incorporate windows, they seal closely to the edges and ground and they can be operated with a commercial grade opener, with a remote control.
The benefits are that in cold weather a rider can open the door in much the same way as a homeowner opens a garage door. The height can accommodate mounted riders, farm equipment and livestock.
If you have a barn that already has sliding doors, talk to an Aurora Overhead Doors rep about retrofitting overhead doors. If you are building a new barn avoid traditional doors – go with the next generation with a remote opener. You will ask yourself why you did not do it sooner.
December 10, 2015
If you are thinking of renovating the interior of your home and garage and you need ideas and advice you should visit the newly opened Avenue Decor Centre.
You can browse through the hardware and finishes for kitchen and bathrooms. Then if you need help with the designs you can chat with the in-house designer. “This is a one stop renovation centre,” says Tony Torelli, the owner, “we want to make it easy for homeowners to plan, to select products and then get the work done.”
Aurora Overhead Door is pleased to support the business. We have a door and opener installed and samples of door materials and hardware.
The showroom is on Yonge Street just south of Eagle Street in Newmarket.
Avenue Decor Centre17035 Yonge St, Newmarket, ON L3Y 5Y1
August 7, 2015
When a door into your home enters from the garage it offers an easy way for burglars to break in.
A burglar can easily release the latch on an overhead door opener using a coat hanger. Here is a video that describes how you can prevent the latch being opened by using a plastic tie. You can also install a piece of wood that makes it more difficult to reach the latch.
When Aurora Overhead Doors installs garage doors you have the option to have weather stripping and other ways to increase security. Please inquire.
Also remember to keep your garage door closed when you are working around your home. An open door is an invitation to burglars to come and help themselves to items you store there. Here is a video from a Wichita TV station that describes the dangers.
July 23, 2015
Here are some before and after pictures from Clopay Doors’s photo contest.
Anyone in your neighbourhood – Richmond Hill, Newmarket, Oak Ridges, Aurora – in need of a garage door makeover?
Ask them to call us.
June 28, 2015
If you have one too many cars to fit in your garage and you are looking to store it elsewhere you should consider adding a car lift. Our partner Nuvo Garage is expert on transforming garages into beautiful, functional spaces. Take a look at their website for a case study on doing it right.
Its time to see your garage in a whole new way!
Why tolerate a messy garage with garden tools and bikes resting against the wall? With a few easy and inexpensive steps it is possible to make your garage into a room that you are proud of. Here is a list of things to do adapted from Angie’s List.
First of all assess all the stuff you have been storing. If you don’t use, chances are you never will, so give it to a neighbour or arrange a garage sale and sell it.
Move everything onto your driveway including your vehicles and clean the floor which can be difficult because of dust, oil and fuel.
A coat of white paint brightens up your garage so before tackling the floor consider giving the walls and ceiling a coat of paint.
Then tackle the floor. First use a large broom to sweep up and dirt and dust that has built up on the garage floor.
Then remove oil and grease stains with a specialty oil or grease-absorbent, thoroughly coating dark stains from oil or grease that are on the floor or use kitty litter.
Use chemical cleaners specifically labeled for heavy-duty floor cleaning jobs. Use it according to the instructions on the label, taking care not to use too much.
Then use a garden hose to rinse the cleaner away, and let your floor air dry.
Lastly seal the floor. Roll on a sealer from your local hardware store. Painting a floor is about the easiest and most satisfying paint job there is.
Use hooks, baskets shelves and racks to organize everything
If you only have a one-car garage, or if you’re trying to store a lot of items in your garage along with a car, you’ll need some organizing products to help you make the most of tight spaces. Overhead storage is a great way to instantly gain space in your garage. These storage devices consist of a wire rack that hangs from your garage ceiling.
The overhead storage device you see here is motorized for easy access to bicycles. (Photo courtesy of Angie’s List member Marcia H.)
Wall storage is great to store tools and loose items that would be lost on the garage floor. You can find kits that are specifically designed for tool storage, or you could even invest in wall-bolted cabinets or wire basket storage. When organizing, group like items together. If using boxes, be sure to label the outside so you won’t have to dig through all of them while looking for one specific item.
Take another look at your garage doors
After a hard day’s work there is no finer feeling than arriving home and pressing the button on a garage door opener and seeing the door slide open to welcome you. How about giving us a call at Aurora Overhead Door and seeing all the hundreds of door styles. We’ll install the door, the opener, the weather stripping and capping to make the garage and front of your home look wonderful.
Lastly move your barbecue from the backyard, buy a 2-4, some ice and celebrate your amazing better-than-new garage. It will become party-central and focal point of your neighbourhood.
February 16, 2015
When homeowners think about possible hazards garage doors don’t generally come to mind. However when garage doors that are improperly installed they can be dangerous in several regards. Firstly they can be hazardous to install. Secondly they can provide one of the easiest ways for intruders to break into a home. Thirdly they can cause injuries to children.
Here are a few considerations when you install garage doors:
- Installing doors can be dangerous. Falling off ladders in one danger among many. Always use a reputable installer who is fully insured, well trained and complies with WSIB practices. Installers who operate out of the back of their truck often save money by cutting corners on safety and the homeowner can be liable if they have an accident.
- The torsion spring that assists the door when opening stores a lot of energy. Never try and adjust it unless you know what you are doing. If it releases unexpectedly it can easily break a wrist or cause other injuries.
- Make sure the light sensors on your garage door are working properly. Test them by rolling a ball under the closing door. Does it reverse instantly? Also garage door openers are designed to reverse direction when meeting an obstruction. If your door does not reverse readily after contacting an obstruction, call us.
- Irrespective of the technology, particularly if you have young children or pets you should always watch the door until it closes completely to make sure nothing gets caught under it.
- Your door should be easy to open and close when disengaged from the door opener. If it is not the tension spring or rollers need attention. Doing this can be dangerous. When repairing please be careful or call Aurora Overhead Door.
- The wall push button for your garage door opener should be mounted at least five feet above the floor, out of the reach of children. Running under a closing door can be deadly. Make sure children never play with opening and closing the door.
- If you park a car outside your garage, be sure to lock your car so that potential burglars cannot access your remote control and gain easy access to your garage.
- On early models of garage door opener remotes thieves are able to record the transmitter’s signal enabling them to open the door when no one is home. Make sure your remote control has rolling code technology. Call us if you need this checked.